Speech by YAB Dato’ Mohamed Khaled Nordin Menteri Besar Johor at the The Iskandar Malaysia Accolades Award CeremonyIskandar Malaysia
Jen Hotel, Puteri Harbour, JB
May 15, 2017
Terima kasih, Saudara Pengacara Majlis
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahhi wabarakatuh,
And a very good evening
YBhg Datuk Ismail Ibrahim
Chief Executive, Iskandar Regional Development Authority
YBhg Dato’ Sri Mohammed Shazalli Ramly
Managing Director/Group Chief Executive Officer, Telekom Malaysia Berhad
YB Dato’ Kamaruzzaman bin Abu Kassim
President & Chief Executive, Johor Corporation
YBhg Tuan Haji A. Rahim bin Haji Nin,
Mayor, Johor Bahru City Council
YBhg Encik Akmal Ahmad
Chief Operating Officer, Iskandar Investment Berhad
Mr. Eddie Tan
Managing Director, TTIEN Media Group Sdn Berhad
Esteemed Panel of judges
Members of the media and Distinguished guests
- It is indeed a great honour to have been invited to attend this inaugural The Iskandar Malaysia Accolades or TIMA 2016/2017 Award ceremony this evening. I would like to thank all of you for being here to join me at this prestigious award ceremony.
- TIMA is being held in commemoration with the year-long Iskandar Malaysia 10th anniversary (IM10) celebration which began in November 2016. This inaugural award was conceived to recognize and reward projects whose practices and implementation are in line with the Iskandar Malaysia vision and objectives specifically in relation to sustainability and social equity.
- I had the privilege to launch The Iskandar Malaysia Accolades or TIMA in April last year, at the 6th Iskandar Malaysia Open Day. I have been told that work on TIMA started in November 2014 and intensified last year with the finalists being identified early this year; and the winners will be announced this evening.
- As the Menteri Besar of Johor, I am proud to be here with all of you, being part of the impressive development of Iskandar Malaysia and giving recognition to organisations that are making a difference for the Rakyat in Iskandar Malaysia and the state of Johor.
- Iskandar Malaysia is the manifestation of the federal and state government’s vision to develop a world-class ‘Strong and Sustainable Metropolis of International Standing,’ and we have come a long way since this region was established in 2006.
Ladies and gentlemen,
- Johor’s economy grew by 5.9% on average in the last 5 years, outpacing that of Malaysia at 5.6%. As Johor’s economy grew, the landscape of the city developed by leaps and bounds.
- We see many new infrastructure developments taking place here in Iskandar Puteri, and across the Iskandar Malaysia region; in fact in the entire state of Johor.
- It is all about making our city much more livable, connected and sustainable. Our central policy objective is to ensure the true potentials of Johor and its people are unleashed. And no one is left behind.
- The Iskandar Malaysia Comprehensive Development Plan ii (CDPii) 2014-2025 is testament to this fact that the master planning for this economic region is focused on social inclusiveness and wealth sharing as well as optimal use of resources and care for the environment.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- TIMA is yet another initiative of IRDA in positioning Iskandar Malaysia as a smart region. I am optimistic that awarding recognitions such as TIMA will encourage more townships and projects to emulate and incorporate smart city elements which in the end, will benefit the Rakyat.
- This is also an example of how both the private and public sectors can play an active role in making Iskandar Malaysia a livable region, that will contribute towards enhancing the quality of life for the Rakyat.
- The progress that Iskandar Malaysia has steadily charted for the past 10 years is truly spectacular. However, much more needs to be achieved in this third and final phase of this 20-year journey, that started in 2006 in order to be consistent with the tenets of growth with equity.
- Having said that, I take the opportunity to congratulate the recipients of ‘The Iskandar Malaysia Accolades’ 2016/17 awards this evening for their contribution towards enhancing the quality of life in Iskandar Malaysia and I look forward to such best practices replicated in the future by other cities and developments towards achieving Iskandar Malaysia’s vision of being a Strong and Sustainable Metropolis of International Standing.